The establishment and development of Ufa State Petroleum Technological University goes hand in hand with the accelerated growth of the oil and gas and petrochemical industries in Bashkortostan and in the East of Russia. In 1941 when the fascist army was approaching Moscow, the Petroleum Institute named after academic I.M. Gubkin was evacuated to Bashkortostan. In 1943 the Institute moved back to Moscow, leaving behind its branch in Ufa with around 150 students studying at its faculties. In the post-war years due to a new stage in the development of the oil and gas industry Bashkortostan and the Ural-Volga region sought highly-qualified oilfield workers and engineers to work in the oil and gas sector. Thereby by the Order of the Council of Ministers Ufa Petroleum Institute was created on the basis of Moscow Petroleum Institute.
Oil Mining and Technological faculties were the first faculties set up in Ufa Petroleum Institute. Around 400 students entered these faculties. Among them there were 150 students who studied full-time. 15 chairs of the Institute employed 38 instructors including 3 Candidates of Sciences. First young professionals – 14 mechanical engineers – graduated from the Institute in 1950.
The Institute became an essential element in the system that was aimed at increasing the oil and gas share in the fuel balance of the country as it trained engineers for the oil and gas producing and refining industries. Having become independent, the Institute started to develop very quickly. Each year in the institute’s history was marked by large-scale achievements. From 1951 till 1955 the following chairs had been set up: the Chair of Physical Chemistry; Processes and Devices; Metal Technology; Applied Mechanics; Heat Engineering; Electrical Engineering; Economics; Organization and Planning. Later on the Chair of Oil and Gas Transportation and Storage and the Chair of Industrial Processes Automation were set up as independent entities.
From the very beginning the Institute’s management set a course for the training of its own professionals selected from the number of the most bright and talented graduates. This course had been steadily maintained through all the years of the university’s existence, which enabled the institution to create a “gold fund” of academics and researchers forming its intellectual potential.
By the mid 1960s the Institute represented a complex educational structure with a solid material basis capable of providing the oil production and refining of the Ural-Volga region with qualified engineers who could work in practically all the required fields. Within a decade from 1956 till 1965 around 3358 engineers had been trained to work in the industry.
In the late 1980s Ufa Petroleum Institute became an academic, scientific and production complex, a member of the Academic and Methodic Association of Higher Educational Institutions in the oil and gas field. Advanced methodic, scientific and technical innovations became an integral part in the training of future engineers.
In the early 1990s informatization and computer processes penetrated into all areas of institute’s activities. The Chairs of Computer Engineering and Engineering Cybernetics were established, a new discipline called microprocessor technology was introduced into all syllabi.
The university’s history is the history of construction of new study, sports and recreation buildings, the expansion of the university’s campus, the constant upgrade of laboratory and research equipment. The basic area of the university’s activity encompasses the training of highly-qualified professionals – Candidates and Doctors of Sciences. In general, scientific research has been conducted in the Institute since the early days of its existence. The university has always offered to its students an opportunity to continue their education on postgraduate and doctoral degree programs.
Thus, the university entered the twenty first century as a strong, well-equipped higher educational institution adapted to modern conditions. It provides training professionals in all main fields of the oil and gas industry from oil and gas field exploration (The Faculty of Geology and Geophysics was established in 1987), oil and gas well drilling, development and operation of oil and gas fields, oil and gas transportation and storage, oil and gas refining to management and downstream operations.
In addition to it, the university trains professionals on all specialties required for operating basic technological processes in oil and gas production and refining – mechanical engineers who can operate oil and gas field equipment, oil refining and petrochemical equipment, specialists on automation of oil production and oil refining facilities as well as technicians, providing safe production conditions and solving environmental issues, related to basic technological processes for oil and gas production and refining. The university also offers a wide range of construction specialties on all building stages – from an architectural design to its implementation and operation of a finished building.